Skip to main content

The Goa Heritage Festival

 

Anuradha Roy with Laila Tyabji
It must have been my lucky week. Laila Tyabji, who is somehow puckish, formidable, and beautiful all at the same time, was my housemate at the Goa Heritage Festival.

I went to the festival with my mother, she with her daughter Urvashi. Our foursome began each morning with plans for the day and ended with a gossipy, raucous dinnertime postmortem.

In between we went to the many fascinating talks and discussions. I came away with wisdom and gentleness from Damodar Mauzo, Gnanpith-awarded Konkani writer, who was the third occupant of the Surya Kiran Heritage Hotel bungalow, which was the venue of the events as well as our warm and pleasant temporary home. Laila gave an illustrated talk on saris and that evening there was a playful sari catwalk, showcasing Kunbi saris, at the enormous, carnivalesque mela spread across the park opposite the hotel, where there was food, drink, music, local produce every day. I was in conversation with Vivek Menezes, who was curating and conducting our bit of the festival, a chapter in the "Suitable Conversations" series run by A Suitable Agency. All the talks were at the Heritage Bistro, informal and intimate. The big closing talk, "My Awakening", was by Siddhesh Gautam, Dalit activist and artist.
 
The loveliest thing about this festival was how rooted it was in its neighbourhood, Campal, on the Mandovi riverfront. You didn't feel as if you had been airdropped into a festival hothouse and flown out again at the end. My day started with walks -- along the river to the beach, or more often in the neighbourhood, where I loved the morning rhythm: the bread seller would cycle down tooting his bhopu and then pausing to sell his poi. The fish seller would go past next, announced ahead by the smell. The dogs would scamper out for their walks. One dog called Jake Pinto invited me with such enthusiasm, his owners had no choice but to ask me in and show me around their astonishing home, where at the door you are greeted by a colonial era bust of Gandhiji smiling genially at our nonsense. 
 
I would also encounter daily a stocky black and brown dog in a hurry, too preoccupied to pause and chat with me. I discovered why: he spends his nights with his friend, a 91-year old ex-violin teacher, Antonio, and then goes for the day to his other friend Derek down the road for food and fun with Derek's three dogs, returning for the night to lie vigilantly below his master's bed. One of the festival events was an adoption camp run by the neighbourhood's Dr Charmayne's Pet Clinic, in which 14 pups found homes.
At the carnival there was young Imli, who wagged her tail nonstop at the ZeroPosro van encouraging people to buy the organic, no-waste produce they sold. Down the road, beyond the van were the brilliant young people of the Amche Mollem movement who are trying to through art to pause a juggernaut: 3 mega infrastructure projects that will cut through and destroy the Bhagwan Mahavir Wildlife Sanctuary & Mollem National Park, Goa. I saw how they managed to involve every passer by, inviting them to sit down at a table, colour a part of a picture, listen to them talk about their fight. As I coloured my bit of Goa's wildlife, I sent up a fervent prayer for the survival of the animals, the mangroves, the forests they were trying to shelter, and also for the survival of all that the Goa Heritage Festival was trying to protect. (The photograph is by Vivek Menezes)

Popular posts from this blog

HOUSE ON A MOUNTAIN

"...some people have the mountains in them while some have the sea. The ocean exerts an inexorable pull over sea-people wherever they are – in a bright-lit, inland city or the dead centre of a desert – and when they feel the tug there is no choice but somehow to reach it and stand at its immense, earth-dissolving edge, straightaway calmed. Hill-people, even if they are born in flatlands, cannot be parted for long from the mountains. Anywhere else is exile. Anywhere else, the ground is too flat, the air too dense, the trees too broad-leaved for beauty. The colour of the light is all wrong, the sounds nothing but noise." The Folded Earth For three days it had rained as if the sky had turned into a giant shower. It was my third trip to Ranikhet and yet again I was leaving without a glimpse of the high peaks. It didn’t matter. The sound of rain on a tin roof, the dry spells when the hills were honey-coloured in the newly-washed air: who needs more? Then someone sa

All the Lives We Never Lived wins the Sahitya Akademi Award 2022

  Anuradha Roy bags coveted Sahitya Akademi Award, 22 others feted Anuradha Roy bagged the coveted Sahitya Akademi Award on Thursday. The author of 'All The Lives We Never Lived ' was felicitated along with 22 other authors for their exemplary contribution in the field of literature. This is the fourth book penned by the 40-something Roy. This book also won the prestigious Tata Book of the Year Award for Fiction in 2018. The book revolves around the life and times of a horticulturalist Myshkin, who narrates his life story, and his unending wait for letters from etters from the mother who abandoned him, for greener pastures in another country. Roy, who lives in Ranikhet, has previously written 'An Atlas of Impossible Longing', 'The Folded Earth' and 'Sleeping on Jupiter' which won the DSC Prize for Fiction 2016. It was also longlisted for the Man Booker Prize in the year 2015. Read more at: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ma

Language, Lost and Found

In France for a long spell earlier this year, everyone around me speaking in a language I didn’t speak or read, I began to think about the many streams of language I've swum in. My mother tongue, Bengali, was the language of home and of intimacy. Yet somewhere along those years, with a sigh drowned out by babel, the language had left me. I tried to find my way back to it through writers like Leela Majumdar and Bibhutibhushan. In "Language, Lost and Found" out now in Noema Magazine, I write of how I found it again, and of language in alien contexts. I'm not sure if this essay is travelogue or memoir or a bunch of stories. But here it is, and I hope you will read it.  It was a red paperback with a green, winking cat spread across its large front. Just a few taps pulls it up on my screen now, and I wonder if my mental image of the day my father came with it as a gift for my brother and me is the work of memory or imagination. He walks in as if he has a happy secret and l