Skip to main content

A Letter from Luxembourg

The French translation of All the Lives We Never Lived had a bumpy start. Its release in March 2020 crashed full tilt into worldwide lockdowns. Bookshops were shut, literary festivals cancelled, reading seemed to be the last thing on people's distracted, panic-stricken minds. I thought the book would sink to the bottom of the sea floor and rest quietly there along with other wrecks.
But readers are tenacious people. The other day there was an email from one of them, Valérie Voisin, which I am reproducing below unaltered because it so vividly and movingly describes her experience of how she got and read a book by an author unknown to her, during a lockdown. 
I am grateful to Valérie for taking the trouble to write to me and for giving me permission to reproduce her message.



Dear Madam,

I discovered your novel during the lockdown when the bookshop started a on-line shop section and delivered books at home. It was a new process for the book seller and he only provided list of books without more details.

I selected your novel because of the title which was so intriguing. I looked on the net what it is about and have been convince by the topic, mix of family relationship, art, history and the exoticism of all countries mentioned... all what i generally like.

I am French and i leave in Luxembourg, I am not used to write author. So please excuse my clumsiness.

I just finished to read your book 30 min ago, it accompanied me during this strange period and I am so grateful to choose it.

Being sensitive to art, travel, discovering people, your novel allow me to have all of them when i was just sitting on the sofa with a limited area to move around. I liked the description of human relationship, so complex but not so different from one continent to another. All rules and restrictions imposed on women, the "what will people say". Everywhere it is the same...

It was fantastic to travel through your words in your country or in Bali. To feel and imagine the nature around.

Thanks to you, I am discovering this artist what I never heard about before, discovering his production, his sensitivity. I will have nice moments now to read about him and try to discovering his paintings. The art is the 20's/30's was extraordinary and I am delighted to discover something new about this period.

I am so enthusiast about your book that since 2 weeks, I am recommanding it to my relatives. I don't know what they will do about it, read or not read, but for me it was a fantastic moment.

Your work must have been massive and the help from so many people is impressive but the result is a beautiful jewellery.

Many thanks and I will be happy to ready your other books.

Have a lovely day.

Valerie Voisin

TRANSLATED BY MYRIAM BELLEHIGUE
"Un beau roman : drames intimes, soubresauts historiques du XX° et
univers fascinant de Bali" -- Marie de Benoist, Culture Tops

"Un livre dépaysant et émouvant que je vous recommande vivement si vous voulez vous évader" -- Journal de François

"Une roman tout de poésie et de nostalgie" Madame Figaro

"Anuradha Roy maîtrise l’art des récits amples, peuplés de personnages riches, mûris en elle" -- Marianne Meunier, La Croix L'Hebdo

"Ici la grande histoire côtoie l'intime. Un livre poignante sur l'enfance déchirée, l'amour malmené et la trajectoire heurtée d'une femme libre" DNA

"Un merveilleux roman, à la fois historique et poétique, sur la trajectoire heurtée d’une femme libre et sur la douloureuse posture d’attente adoptée par son fils" Madame Maroc,  10 livres à lire absolument (et à se faire livrer)


Popular posts from this blog

HOUSE ON A MOUNTAIN

"...some people have the mountains in them while some have the sea. The ocean exerts an inexorable pull over sea-people wherever they are – in a bright-lit, inland city or the dead centre of a desert – and when they feel the tug there is no choice but somehow to reach it and stand at its immense, earth-dissolving edge, straightaway calmed. Hill-people, even if they are born in flatlands, cannot be parted for long from the mountains. Anywhere else is exile. Anywhere else, the ground is too flat, the air too dense, the trees too broad-leaved for beauty. The colour of the light is all wrong, the sounds nothing but noise." The Folded Earth For three days it had rained as if the sky had turned into a giant shower. It was my third trip to Ranikhet and yet again I was leaving without a glimpse of the high peaks. It didn’t matter. The sound of rain on a tin roof, the dry spells when the hills were honey-coloured in the newly-washed air: who needs more? Then someone sa

All the Lives We Never Lived wins the Sahitya Akademi Award 2022

  Anuradha Roy bags coveted Sahitya Akademi Award, 22 others feted Anuradha Roy bagged the coveted Sahitya Akademi Award on Thursday. The author of 'All The Lives We Never Lived ' was felicitated along with 22 other authors for their exemplary contribution in the field of literature. This is the fourth book penned by the 40-something Roy. This book also won the prestigious Tata Book of the Year Award for Fiction in 2018. The book revolves around the life and times of a horticulturalist Myshkin, who narrates his life story, and his unending wait for letters from etters from the mother who abandoned him, for greener pastures in another country. Roy, who lives in Ranikhet, has previously written 'An Atlas of Impossible Longing', 'The Folded Earth' and 'Sleeping on Jupiter' which won the DSC Prize for Fiction 2016. It was also longlisted for the Man Booker Prize in the year 2015. Read more at: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/ma

Language, Lost and Found

In France for a long spell earlier this year, everyone around me speaking in a language I didn’t speak or read, I began to think about the many streams of language I've swum in. My mother tongue, Bengali, was the language of home and of intimacy. Yet somewhere along those years, with a sigh drowned out by babel, the language had left me. I tried to find my way back to it through writers like Leela Majumdar and Bibhutibhushan. In "Language, Lost and Found" out now in Noema Magazine, I write of how I found it again, and of language in alien contexts. I'm not sure if this essay is travelogue or memoir or a bunch of stories. But here it is, and I hope you will read it.  It was a red paperback with a green, winking cat spread across its large front. Just a few taps pulls it up on my screen now, and I wonder if my mental image of the day my father came with it as a gift for my brother and me is the work of memory or imagination. He walks in as if he has a happy secret and l